2 OKC Residents Die Of Suspected Carbon Monoxide Poisoning, Fire Officials Say


Friday, October 30th 2020, 3:06 pm
By: News 9


OKLAHOMA CITY -

The Oklahoma City Fire Department said two people have died from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.

Firefighters said generators were left inside both structures.  

Officials said crews responded to a medical call just after 5 p.m. Wednesday, October 28 to a home located in the 2100 block of SW 22nd St. When firefighters arrived, they located a man dead inside of a bedroom. According to the report, a generator was found out of fuel in another room. Firefighters suspect the death was due to carbon monoxide from the generator.

Crews responded at 10:45 a.m. Friday, October 30 to a commercial structure in the 1200 block of S. May Ave. where they said a senior man was living.  Firefighters said monitors reported 800 ppm of carbon monoxide. To put that into context, a carbon monoxide alarm will activate within 10 to 50 minutes at just 150 ppm, officials said in a press release.

The OKCFD issued the following public education message:

We continue to stress the importance of only operating generators outside, well away from the home, in such a way that exhaust and deadly carbon monoxide will not enter the home through doors, windows, or vents. Do not use generators in the garage even with the doors open; carbon monoxide may still enter the home if you do. MAKE SURE that you have working carbon monoxide alarms in your home. Install the alarms per the manufacturer’s instructions and test them monthly. If the alarm sounds, move to a fresh air location and call 911. Carbon monoxide is produced by many things; wood-burning fireplaces, charcoal grills, gas grills, exhaust from running vehicles, and certainly generators. Anything that is burning inefficiently or isn’t vented properly could be a source of carbon monoxide. Even if you are not using a generator, your neighbor may be! Everyone needs working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms in their homes.