RedHawks Rally In Ninth To Top Nashville

Sunday, July 27th 2014, 11:16 pm
By: News 9

Down by three runs heading to the ninth inning, the Oklahoma City RedHawks rallied for four runs in their final at-bat to stun the Nashville Sounds, 6-5, Sunday night at Greer Stadium.

The RedHawks (54-56) trailed 5-1 after seven innings. The comeback started in the eighth with a RBI single by Ronny Torreyes.

Each of the first three batters reached base to start the ninth inning, including a RBI single by Matt Duffy. With the tying runs on and none out, Nashville reliever Rob Wooten (0-1) got each of the next two hitters to fly out.

Down to the team's final strike, Max Stassi lined a RBI single to center field, pulling the RedHawks within one run.

Joe Sclafani stepped up next and hammered a 2-1 offering off the wall in right field. While Duffy scored easily from third, Stassi was trying to score all the way from first. Although the relay throw beat Stassi to the plate, he was able to slide head first around catcher Sean Zarraga's tag for the go-ahead run.

Sclafani's double was his first with the RedHawks this season, and it was just the team's second extra-base hit over the past 39 innings.

Zarraga led off the bottom of the ninth with a double and was replaced by pinch-runner Hector Gomez. Pete Orr then grounded out to advance to tying to run third.

Jason Stoffel (3-3) was able to escape the jam by striking out both Kevin Mattison and Irving Falu to end the game.

It was the fifth time this season the RedHawks won a game when trailing after eight innings. The Sounds (58-51) had been 31-0 when leading after eight innings at home.

The RedHawks were able to score quickly and get on the board in the first inning. With one out, Jonathan Villar singled, stole second base, and then scored on a RBI single by Austin Wates.

Leading off the bottom of the second inning, Matt Clark tied the game with an opposite field home run out to left field.

The Sounds parlayed another leadoff hit into a run in third inning to take the lead. Orr doubled to deep left-center field and advanced to third on a groundout. Orr then scored on a wild pitch to put the Sounds in front, 2-1.

Nashville struck again in the third inning. After Clark drew a walk, Sean Halton launched a two-run homer off the guitar-shaped scoreboard in left-center field. In 15 games against the RedHawks this season, Halton now has 16 RBI.

The Sounds added another run in the sixth when Eugenio Velez and Jason Rogers started the inning with back-to-back doubles.

Making his first start after spending about a month on the disabled list, RedHawks pitcher Nick Tropeano allowed four runs over five innings. Although he only allowed three hits, all of them went for extra bases, including two home runs. Tropeano finished with two walks and six strikeouts.

The RedHawks will play their final game ever at historic Greer Stadium as they finish their series with the Sounds Monday night at 7:05 p.m.