Tipster Identifies Suspect Involved In Deadly Road Rage Shooting Near Downtown OKC

Wednesday, January 19th 2022, 5:27 pm


A tip from a witness led Oklahoma City police to a murder suspect.

Investigators said 25-year-old Daquan Estes was involved in a deadly road rage shooting near downtown Oklahoma City earlier this month.

Police arrested Estes on Tuesday near Southwest 29th Street and Western Avenue. They said he was in the same car that was described leaving the deadly shooting scene.

Six days into the new year, police were called to the intersection of Reno Avenue and Pennsylvania Avenue to check on a shooting. Officers found a silver Chevy Tahoe in the street with the driver still inside.

“They located on person deceased inside of a vehicle,” Oklahoma City Police Department Sergeant Dillon Quirk said. “During the investigation, it appeared this stemmed from a traffic confrontation that began near Northwest 23rd and Penn.”

The victim has since been identified as 38-year-old Oscar Alvarez. Police said Alvarez was shot at three times. One of the bullets hit him in the back of head, killing him.

Two weeks after the deadly shooting, investigators got a tip that pointed to Estes as the suspected shooter.

According to an arrest affidavit, Estes told a witness he shot and killed a man during a road rage incident. Police said Estes told the witness the victim was following him to close so he flashed a gun at him. Estes' anger escalated as they kept driving. Estes admitted to the witness that at the next stop light he shot at Alvarez three times and then fled the scene.

“The result of this confrontation,” Quirk said. “Sadly, ended in the loss of someone’s life.”

The witness told investigators where Estes lived and what kind of car he drove. Officers were near the home this week and saw the suspect leave in a car that matched the description given by the witness.

A short time later, Estes was arrested and booked into the Oklahoma County Detention Center on a first-degree murder complaint.

Police said Estes gave the murder weapon to another person to hold, but it was eventually given back to Estes and was stored at his home.