Edmond Police Release 911 Call, New Details In Cab Driver Shooting

Tuesday, September 18th 2012, 9:24 pm
By: News 9

Police say a dispute over a taxi cab fare prompted a customer to open fire on the cab driver. On Tuesday, police released the 911 call from the driver and gave new details into what happened.

9/18/2012 Related Story: Police: Edmond Man Refuses To Pay Cab Fare, Shoots At Driver

Moments after the driver was shot at, police say he was on the phone with 911 and drove three miles to a gas station at I-35 and 2nd Street in Edmond where he met officers. During the call, the driver thought the gunman might not have been far behind him.

"He fired at me, and I drove off," said a Thunder Cab driver by the name of Samuel in a 911 call to Edmond police.

An operator stayed on the phone with Samuel as officers responded to his location and the scene of the shooting at 2 N. Douglas Rd. in Edmond.

"It was tense for our patrol guys for sure to get that call like that," Capt. Tim Dorsey with Edmond police said.

What started as a cab ride home from the bars proved to be a nearly 5-hour ordeal for officers, who say the suspect was drunk when he was arrested. Police say 29-year-old Tyler Ray Scott did not agree with the price of his ride. Once the cab arrived at his rural Edmond home, police say Scott walked into his house and returned packing heat.

"He said wait for me, I'll bring you cash," Samuel told police. "When he came back, I saw him coming back with a gun."

Police say Scott fired a few rounds, but he did not hit the cab or the driver. A SWAT team moved in on Scott's home. Hours went by as an agonizing standoff had officers trying to communicate with Scott who was practically passed out inside.

"For the next several hours, we tried making contact with him over the telephone [and] loud speaker announcements … anyway we could try to reach him," Dorsey said.

Scott surrendered shortly after 6 a.m. Sunday. Police say Scott will face charges of assault with a deadly weapon and pointing a firearm.