About 36 cookies
Dry (Jar) Ingredients:
½ cup Splenda Brown Sugar baking blend
¼ cup Splenda
1 ¾ cup dry oats
½ cup dried fruit such as cherries
¼ cup chopped walnuts or pecans
½ cup coconut flakes
1 cup whole grain wheat flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ cup light margarine (trans fat free)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup nonfat milk
1. Combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Stir well.
2. Add light margarine to dry mixture until the mixture resembles course crumbs.
3. In a separate smaller bowl, beat together egg, vanilla, and milk.
4. Stir egg mixture into course crumb mixture until all ingredients are well combined.
5. Using a teaspoon, place a heaping scoop of batter onto a baking pan sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
6. Bake cookies for 15-20 minutes or until golden around the edges.
7. If making "cookies in a jar" to give as a gift, layer all dry ingredients in a 1 quart canning jar. Create a label listing the required moist ingredients (light margarine, egg, vanilla, and milk) along with the above instructions numbered 1-6.
Nutrition information per cookie (using walnuts): 64 calories, 1.4 gm protein, 10 gm total carb, 2.4 gm total fat with 0.7 gm saturated, 6 mg cholesterol, 1.1 gm fiber
Recipe by Marianne Wetherill, RD/LD, Siegfried Health Club, St. John Medical Center