Triple Threat Coconut Cream Pie
Monday, April 18th 2011, 6:10 pm
1 Pillsbury Refrigerated Pie Crust
1 (13 1/2 oz) can coconut milk, shaken well
1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
1 cup whole milk
1 tsp vanilla
2/3 cup sugar, divided
1/4 tsp salt
5 large egg yolks
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 tsp coconut extract
2 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into four pieces
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, well chilled
1 1/2 Tsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
1 oz. white chocolate, shaved
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Unroll pie crust onto parchment or wax paper. Brush a small amount of coconut milk onto dough, just enough to moisten it. Sprinkle 1/2 tablespoon of the toasted coconut evenly on dough, then press it lightly into dough, just enough to make it stick.
- Sprinkle 1/2 tablespoon shredded coconut onto bottom of pie plate, then form dough into plate. Prick bottom and side with fork.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until light brown. Cool.
- Heat the remaining coconut milk, the whole milk, 1/2 cup toasted coconut, vanilla, 1/3 cup of the sugar and the salt to a simmer in 2-quart saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, about 5 minutes to dissolve sugar.
- In a separate large bowl, with whisk, beat the egg yolks, remaining 1/3 cup sugar and the cornstarch until well combined.
- Gradually beat the simmering liquid into the yolk mixture to temper it, then return the entire mixture to saucepan, scraping the bowl with a rubber spatula. Heat the mixture to a simmer over medium heat, beating constantly with whisk, 5 to 6 minutes or until mixture is thickened. Remove from heat, beat in the coconut extract and butter.
- Pour into the cooled crust; press a sheet of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the filling and refrigerate until the filling is cold and firm, at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, beat the cream and sugar in a chilled bowl using an electric mixer at medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Add the vanilla and continue to beat until slightly stiff peaks are formed. Spread or pipe the whipped cream over the chilled filling. Sprinkle with coconut and white chocolate shavings (optional). Store in refrigerator. Serves 8.