Multiple students and faculty members were transported to the hospital following a gas leak at the Blackwell High School gym Monday morning. Luckily, everyone is expected to be OK.
According to Blackwell police, at about 9 a.m. Monday, emergency crews responded to a gas leak at the high school gym, which is isolated from the other buildings. Students practice in the gym in the morning before school.
Officials say the leak occurred as the middle school boys basketball team and varsity cheer squad were practicing. Some students began to feel sick and a couple of students passed out in the shower area.
Police said 35 students and three faculty members were transported from the facility to a local hospital and put on oxygen. Everyone is expected to be OK.
Crews with the Oklahoma Natural Gas are now on scene investigating the incident.