OKC Family Rebuilding After Destructive, Accidental House Fire


Tuesday, January 18th 2022, 10:25 pm


OKLAHOMA CITY -

A community in Southwest Oklahoma City is raising funds to help a family of five whose home was destroyed in a house fire Sunday afternoon. 

Zamia Davis said her daughter and oldest son, Kipp, were home when a curtain inside the home suddenly caught flame. 

Zamia, her husband, and her daughter returned to the house to find firefighters working to control the blaze. 

“We got here, and the fire crew tried to go in but they couldn’t even go in just yet,” she said. “As soon as they opened that door it just engulfed.” 

She said one of their dogs died in the fire, and a kitten has yet to be recovered. Kipp and her daughter were able to get out of the house. 

“What they have is what they're wearing right now, and they have nothing else,” Zamia Davis said. “It’s not fair because I know my kids deserve way better than that.” 

Kipp Davis said after making sure his sister and his cat were safe, he returned to find the family’s dog and kitten. The spreading flames forced him to turn back and burned his arm on his way out. 

The Oklahoma City Fire Department said the fire started inside the home on S.W. 14th St, and the cause appears to be electrical.   

The Davis children attend Western Heights Public Schools. Members of the district community started an online fundraiser for the family on the phone application Cash App. Donations can be sent via the app to $whhsdavisfamily. 

Zamia Davis said the community has already helped pay for the family’s temporary housing for the immediate future. The family is still working to replace clothes, furniture, and find a permanent home.