‘We Can’t Process It’: Family Mourns Loss Of Grandmother, Grandson Killed In Weekend Double Homicide

Tuesday, August 10th 2021, 11:03 pm
By: Clayton Cummins


A local family is mourning the loss of a grandmother and grandson who police say were shot to death at a southwest Oklahoma City home.

Around 3:45 p.m. Saturday, police responded to reports of a shooting at a home in the 2700 block of SW 49th Street. When officers arrived, they found Ramon Sosa, 16, dead in the residence.

Gustavo Peralta, 16, was arrested shortly following the shooting.

Related: Teenage Suspect Pulled From Oklahoma River Following Deadly Double Shooting In SW OKC

Witnesses told police Peralta left the home in the victim's grandmother's car.

The grandmother has been identified as Angela Sosa, 52.

Family members followed the suspect from the scene of the shooting to a parking lot near Southwest 5th Street and May Avenue by the Oklahoma River.

Peralta drove the vehicle into the river. Angela’s body was found inside after the vehicle was pulled from the water.

“Officers were able to locate our suspect who was almost completely submerged in the Oklahoma River aside from his nose and mouth,” said Sgt, Dillon Quirk, Oklahoma City Police Department. “A K-9 unit was utilized to apprehend the suspect. He was booked into the Oklahoma County Detention Center on two counts of murder in the first degree.”

Sosa’s family said it’s been difficult to process what happened.

“Who would do something like that to the grandma, to my sister?” said Kim Sipes, Angela’s sister. “She was one of the sweetest, goofiest, funniest, I mean had a heart of gold. And then my nephew? He’s just starting his life.”

Sipes said Angela and Ramon went to Peralta’s home to pick up soil.

“I don’t know (anything) about the kid, his family or anything,” said Sipes. “I know that him and (Ramon were) friends. (He came) to my sisters and ate before at the house. I don’t understand.”

Family said Ramon loved boxing and video games.

Sipes said she and Angela just lost their mother last year.

“That’s one thing that we were hoping was that she didn’t have to suffer, and I think she did because I guess she didn’t die right away,” said Sipes.

A GoFundMe page has been launched by family, given no choice but to say goodbye.

Police are still investigating Saturday’s double homicide.