Chase Across 3 Counties Tops 100 MPH, Ends With 2 Suspects In Custody

Thursday, June 3rd 2021, 3:57 pm

MOORE, Oklahoma -

A driver led several agencies on a multi-county pursuit that ended in Moore.

According to Oklahoma Highway Patrol troopers the pursuit took place in rush hour traffic and lasted about half an hour.

Read: 2 Suspects In Custody After Multi-County High-Speed Chase Ends In Moore

Residents in a Moore neighborhood spilled out of their homes after hearing the commotion.

“I thought something happened to my mom and I was scared,” said resident Olivia Moore.            

“We heard the helicopter above and the cars passing by,” said resident Ivan Taylor.

The chase started in Pottawatomie County after the suspect’s car reportedly blew past a trooper.

“A passenger car passed him on the shoulder at a high rate of speed,” said Oklahoma Highway Patrol Trooper Eric Foster.

Over the course of the chase that stretched across three counties, and at times topped 100 mph, troopers said items were thrown from the vehicle.               

Troopers said the driver of the car ran through red lights, drove on the shoulder of the highway, and at times clipped vehicles as they passed.

“It’s always dangerous whether it's in a neighborhood, on the interstate, anytime someone flees, it's dangerous for the person running from us, law enforcement and for the public,” said Foster.

After more than a half hour, the car pulled into a neighborhood and into a cul-de-sac.

“Two people in our neighborhood did something bad,” said Moore.            

“We were just looking at each other like what?” said Nixie Rodgers.

After jumping a fence, both driver and passenger were taken down at gunpoint and placed under arrest.

“We pulled up over here saw the woman against the car and the man over there,” said Rodgers. 

According to troopers, the passenger, David McDaniel had been in court all afternoon to answer for a failure to appear. The driver Cortney Doughty was arrested on a complaint of driving under the influence of drugs.

Both McDaniel and Doughty were booked into the Pottawatomie County jail.