Mustang Public Schools Alters Its Back-To-School Plan


Tuesday, August 11th 2020, 4:43 pm
By: Tevis Hillis


MUSTANG, Oklahoma -

Mustang Public Schools are moving the high school to a split in-person schedule, while the rest of the district will attend, in-person, five days a week.

If COVID-19 cases increase, this could change. 

Whether in-person or online, classes begin on August 24.

High school students will attend on an A-B schedule.

That means students with the last name starting with the letters A through K will have in-person classes Monday and Tuesday while students with the last name starting with L through Z will go Thursday and Friday.

When not physically in the classroom, students will complete their lessons online.

One person at the board meeting said they feel for the teachers.

No students will be in the building on Wednesdays, allowing the school to be cleaned and give the teachers the ability to prepare for their virtual and in-person classes.

"This was what would have been the exact plan the Oklahoma State Department of Education with the State Department of Health, but then the State Department of Education said these are just recommendations," said Mustang Superintendent Charles Bradley.

A color-coded map will help administrators make future attendance decisions.

If cases in the county rise to 25 to 50 cases per 100,000 people, the Mustang school district will move all grade to an A-B schedule.

According to a recent district survey, 22% of families chose virtual learning for this upcoming school year. This leaves 78% of students wanting in-person learning.

You can find more information on the revisions on Mustang Public School’s Facebook page.