By Gan Matthews, NEWS 9
BLANCHARD, Oklahoma -- A Blanchard family is counting their blessings. They lost a house but managed to avoid an even greater disaster.
The family's newest addition is being called a hero.
When Hixsen Brooks is older, he'll hear all about the story surrounding his birth Monday morning.
"While the nurses were in here preparing us for the birth of Hixsen, we received a phone call," Kim Brooks said.
The caller told the Brooks family their home in Blanchard had caught fire after they went to the hospital.
Before she left for Norman Regional Hospital Monday morning, Brooks woke up her two older sons and their two friends who were sleeping over. The boys wanted to sleep in because it was a holiday, but Mom insisted they also come to the hospital for the birth.
It's a good thing they came. Otherwise they might have died in the fire.
"I think they would have slept through it because, you know teenage boys, they don't hear nothing; they don't even hear their alarms in the morning," Brooks said.
Little Hixsen has already made his mark in the world.
The Brooks have insurance. They'll rebuild. And they have relatives to stay with. They lost a lot in the fire, but they saved what was more important--lives of loved ones.