IRS Helps Struggling Tax Payers

Saturday, February 7th 2009, 10:58 pm
By: News 9

By Jacqueline Sit, NEWS 9

OKLAHOMA CITY -- With the tough economic times, taxpayers are feeling the effects of a recession and that's why federal tax officials are taking steps to help you this tax season.

If you can't afford to pay all your taxes after filing a return, the IRS says they can help you work something out.

Federal tax officials said they're being flexible with those who can't afford to pay in full.

"What people need to do is communicate with us. We ask them to either give us a call or come down and see us and let us know they're having difficulty in meeting their obligations that way we can better work with them," IRS Spokesperson David Stell said.

Now, you will still need to file your taxes, but if you can prove you're struggling with the payment, you may qualify for certain assistance, from postponing your payment to suspending tax collection all-together.

"So, they're saying we're backing off of that, if you have good circumstances, we'll let you miss a payment or be late on a payment. That's good news," Certified Public Accountant Fred Imel said.

You'll need to fill out either Form 9465 or 433 to show you are going through a tough time.

2009 Tax Information:

- Find tax forms and free tax tips through the IRS

-'s Tax Guide