Disabled OKC Couple Says They Were Saved By Smoke Detector


Friday, January 21st 2011, 9:43 am
By: News 9


News9.com

OKLAHOMA CITY -- A disabled couple says they were able to escape an early-morning house fire because of their smoke detector.

Michael and Verna Ellis were sleeping in their home near N.E. 71st Street and Sooner when they were suddenly awakened by the shrieking of their fire alarm. 

"I'm a testimony that it saves lives, you just never know when you'll need it," Mr. Ellis said.

Mr. Ellis recently had foot surgery, but the couple was able to escape the burning house.  They were just coming out when firefighters arrived.

Fire crews were able to quickly put out the flames.  They believe a water heater started the fire.

The couple did not have insurance, and said they're not sure where they are going to live. The Red Cross has stepped in to help.  The family said despite their loss, they're grateful to be alive.

"I just leave it to God and I have to be strong for my wife.  She is going through so much right now, her sister just passed away last night and I have to be strong for her," Ellis said.