Teenage Boy Saves Family From SW Oklahoma City Fire


Tuesday, July 19th 2011, 10:25 am
By: News 9


News9.com

OKLAHOMA CITY -- A 13-year-old boy helped save his family when he woke up Tuesday morning and discovered his house was on fire.

Around 7:30 a.m., the boy smelled smoke and saw fire in the family's kitchen near S.W. 35th Street and Linn. He woke up his mother and two sisters. The family escaped from the house and called firefighters.

Oklahoma City fire crews quickly arrived and spotted heavy smoke and flames in the back of the house. They extinguished the fire in just a few minutes, and no one was hurt.

Firefighters believe the fire started in the kitchen. They family says a microwave likely started it.

The house was a total loss. The American Red Cross is helping the family find shelter.

There were no working smoke detectors in the house. Firefighters say if the boy hadn't awakened and alerted his family, someone could have been hurt. The Oklahoma City Fire Department has a program offering free smoke detectors and installation. People who want a free smoke detector should call their local fire department.