Man Involved In Tulsa Tower Standoff Surrenders

<span style="color: #ff0000;"><strong>UPDATE</strong></span>: The man involved in the Tulsa Police Department&#39;s longest standoff ever surrendered to authorities Tuesday afternoon.

Tuesday, August 16th 2011, 3:21 pm

By: News 9 & Lacie Lowry, News On 6

UPDATE: TULSA, Oklahoma -- The man involved in the Tulsa Police Department's longest standoff ever surrendered to authorities Tuesday afternoon.

William Sturdivant II, 25, came down from the Clear Channel radio tower at 27th and Memorial about 6:40 p.m. after more than 125 hours.

After six days of negotiations, Sturdivant finally climbed into the rescue bucket for good. The man who reassured Sturdivant to safety is retired TPD crisis negotiator Tyrone Lynn.

"It can go any way and thank God obviously there were some people out there praying," Lynn said.

Police called Lynn in specifically to help and the progress was a constant back and forth.

"Take my time and develop some rapport and kind of keep things on his terms as much as possible and when that broke down, just to reel him in a little and just be patient with him," he said.

Lynn tried several different tactics to coax Sturdivant down from the 300-foot tower, like splashing water on the 25-year-old's face.

"Some of it was his emotions from the heat and then the other part of it was obviously his mental condition and physically. It's so hot up there and that metal was -- I don't know how he was doing it," he said.

At one point, Sturdivant actually passed out and Lynn grabbed him so he wouldn't fall.

"I was actually tickling his feet to try and bring him to," he said.

With Sturdivant's sister and other family watching and worrying, Lynn says the tactic that finally worked was compassion.

"We finally assured him that everybody down here was rooting for him and this was a day he could win and we forgive him, nobody's upset with him and when we got down, we were going to make sure he got some help," he said.

Crowds gave a long overdue applause when they saw the peaceful ending.

"Oh, tears of joy," Darlyne Robbins, an onlooker, said. "It took me a minute to realize he was fully in and then, me and another later, that was all it took."

"I was really excited because he's been there for quite a long time," said onlooker Miquel Smith.

Sturdivant was loaded onto an ambulance and taken to the hospital. He faces trespassing charges. Sturdivant has a criminal record of burglary and drug possession.

He climbed the tower about 11 a.m. last Thursday. Police said he has not had food or water since early Friday.

Tulsa Mayor Dewey Bartlett was on the scene Tuesday evening to thank Tulsa Police and fire officers for their work throughout the six day standoff.

08/16/2011 Related Story: Former Boss Describes Man In Tulsa Tower Standoff As 'Normal Guy'.

08/14/2011 Related Story: Police Downgrade Response As Tulsa Tower Standoff Nears Day 4.

08/14/2011 Related Story: Man On Tulsa Tower Refuses Rescue Efforts.

Images From The Standoff

Get The Daily Update!

Be among the first to get breaking news, weather, and general news updates from News 9 delivered right to your inbox!

More Like This

August 16th, 2011

September 8th, 2023

September 8th, 2023

September 6th, 2023

Top Headlines

September 22nd, 2023

September 22nd, 2023

September 22nd, 2023

September 22nd, 2023