One half of a southwest Oklahoma City duplex went up in flames Sunday afternoon leaving one family guessing what to do next.
The fire broke out near NW 20th St. and May just before 5 p.m. News 9 spoke to the mother of two who lived in the home. She says her family lost almost all of their personal belongings in the fire. But she says she is already looking to the future and is thankful nobody was hurt.
Callissa Summers picks up whatever she can salvage from her home with the help of many friends and family members who dropped everything and rushed to help the young mother.
"There was a bunch of people. So much family, extended family, everyone just came out to help. The Red Cross helped a lot," said Summers.
The duplex went up in a matter of minutes burning their clothes, furniture, memories, even the family pet.
"It was an accident. A cigarette got blown under the porch and the whole house went up in 30 minutes. Everything is gone," Summers said.
Now she's left figuring out exactly what to do, but says that none of it would be possible without the support of her family and friends.
"It means the world to me that they care and are hear for me right now," she said.
The Red Cross was on scene helping the family sort out a plan to deal with the fire. Summers says she wouldn't know what to do without the support.
A second family lives in the front part of the duplex. News 9 is told that for the most part, their unit only had one rear room that was damaged by the fire. The rest is just smoke and water damage.