Late Jumper Sends OCU Over St. Greg's, 67-66

Friday, January 25th 2013, 11:29 am
By: News 9

Oklahoma City's Terry Johnson hit the game-winning jumper with 2.1 seconds left, propelling the Stars to a 67-66 win over St. Gregory's Thursday at W.P. Wood Field House. Johnson, a junior from Chicago, came off a screen as the clock wound down and nailed a 19-footer from the right wing. SGU's Fayzon Richey hoisted a desperation three-quarter court shot as time expired, but it clanged off the backboard.

OCU (9-7, 2-6 SAC) won for the first time in six games. SGU (6-10, 0-6 SAC) lost its eighth consecutive contest. After a defensive first half, both teams erupted for 64 percent from the floor in a second half that saw eight ties and nine lead changes.

The loss overshadowed a milestone achievement for Richey – who reached 2,000 career points – and a career-high 16-point effort from SGU freshman Paco Jones. Jones was 6 of 8 from the floor and 4 of 4 from the free-throw line. Richey finished with 13 points, nine boards and four assists.

OCU was led by 24 points from Troynell Adams. Charlton Jones and Terrance Walker each had 13.

SGU held a 28-20 advantage at halftime after holding the visitors to 38 percent shooting. The Cavs outrebounded the visitors 22-11 in the first 20 minutes, and seven SGU players found the scoring column before the break. The Stars, who came into the game No. 2 in the NAIA in free throw shooting, were just 3 of 11 from the line in the period.

Richey passed the 2,000-point mark for his career at the 7:29 mark of the first half. Richey – SGU's all-time leading scorer – reached the milestone on a 15-foot baseline floater. He had six points and six boards at halftime.

OCU came out of the gate firing in the second half. The Stars cut the lead to 41-40 at the 14:02 mark after making seven of their first eight from the floor and then tied it with 12:12 left on two Charlton Jones free throws.

OCU took its first lead of the game at 59-58 with 3:39 remaining on an Elhadji Wade breakaway. That lead changed hands eight more times as the game came down the stretch.