Bomb Threat Cleared, People Allowed Back Into Oklahoma State Capitol

Friday, February 1st 2013, 11:56 am
By: News 9

People are being allowed back into the Oklahoma State Capitol following a bomb threat that forced hundreds of lawmakers, teachers, and students to evacuate the building Friday morning.

On News 9 at Noon, we were told an arrest was made in the bomb threat.  However, Oklahoma City Police say they have not made an arrest. Trooper Betsy Randolph said the woman who called in the bomb threat gave a false name to police, apparently trying to get someone in trouble.

Investigators questioned the person whose name was given, but did not take her into custody.

Investigators with the Oklahoma Highway Patrol are pursuing this case and are currently trying to track down the woman who called in the threat.

Pilot Jim Gardner flew over the scene Friday morning in Bob Mills SkyNews 9 HD. Hundreds of people were standing outside the building. Rep. Joe Dorman (D-Rush Springs) spoke with News 9 and said lawmakers were first alerted to trouble when the fire alarm sounded, then Oklahoma Highway Patrol troopers came to each office and told everyone to leave the building.

Rep. Dorman said the evacuation was efficient, calm, and safe. At first he believed there may be a fire, but he was later told they were forced to leave the building because of a bomb threat.

Gov. Mary Fallin was in the building at the time, and she was evacuated, as well.

Troopers and the bomb squad searched the State Capitol room by room to make sure there was no threat. They found nothing, and allowed people to return to the building after about an hour later.

There were hundreds of school children at the State Capitol celebrating Colonial Day. They're learning about the Colonial period in American history, and dressed up in costumes as part of the experience. The children were loaded onto school buses to help keep them warm while they waited for authorities to clear the capitol.

No one was hurt during the evacuation. It appears the bomb threat was just a hoax.