New Developments In Carina Saunders Murder Case


Tuesday, February 5th 2013, 12:49 pm
By: News 9


An unexpected twist in one of the most brutal murder cases in the metro. News 9 is uncovering new developments in the killing of Carina Saunders. The 19-year-old was found dismembered in duffle bags in Bethany in October 2011.

8/15/2012 Related Story: Medical Examiner Releases Autopsy Report For Carina Saunders

After more than 15 months of investigation by detectives with the Bethany Police Department, the OSBI confirms the state agency has been called in to investigate the murder of Carina Saunders.

An OSBI spokesperson confirms Bethany Police Chief Phil Cole made the request Monday afternoon.

"After meeting with District Attorney Prater, we both feel that the investigation would be best served by allowing an agency with greater resources and a "fresh set of eyes" to take over this complex case," Chief Phil Cole said in a press release to media. "Our agency will be working closely with the O.S.B.I. in the next few weeks to make an orderly transition."

Read the entire statement from Bethany Police Chief Phil Cole

Bethany Police previously said its investigators conducted more than 100 interviews and served multiple search warrants in this case.

2/3/2012 Related Story: Documents Shed New Light On Carina Saunders' Murder

In July, prosecutors charged Jimmy Massey and Luis Ruiz with the murder of Carina Saunders. A preliminary hearing for the two suspects was scheduled last month but was rescheduled for May.

7/23/2012 Related Story: Two Accused Killers Charged With Murder Of Carina Saunders

We are continuing to follow these developments and will have more on this story throughout the day on News 9 and News9.com.

7/17/2012 Related Story: Exclusive: Carina Saunders' Father Opens Up To News 9