Fire That Damaged Iconic Building In Tuttle Ruled Accidental


Thursday, February 14th 2013, 8:18 am
By: News 9


A stubborn fire that destroyed an iconic building on Main Street in Tuttle has been ruled accidental. Still no word on how the fire started.

The State Fire Marshall's Office was called in to help investigate the blaze. The fire was first noticed around 5 a.m. Thursday. It took nearly 30 firefighters from Tuttle, Newcastle, Bridge Creek and Grady County to bring it under control.

The fire chief says no one was hurt and firefighters are being praised for keeping the fire from spreading to a home just a few feet behind the burning building.

The building was once home to the first Williams grocery store. It opened in 1971 and was being remodeled. A member of the Williams family said the building was going to be home to a new hardware store.

Coy Williams told News 9 "it is sad to see this happen."