Oklahoma Runners In Boston Marathon Speak About Explosions

Monday, April 15th 2013, 10:14 pm
By: News 9

Boston Police say at least three people were killed Monday afternoon when two explosions rocked the area near the finish line of the Boston Marathon, the world-famous 26.2 mile trek that draws thousands of runners and spectators to the city.

4/15/2013 Related Story: At Least 3 Killed In Explosions At Boston Marathon Finish Line

Several Oklahomans competed in Monday's Boston Marathon, including an attorney from Edmond.

Noel Tucker is a 50-year-old Edmond High School graduate, who was a classmate of Bill Self's. Tucker was a half-mile from completing the Boston Marathon when she heard the first explosion.

She says hearing that blast and understanding what happened took her back 18 years.

Tucker and her husband Phil, who's also an attorney, were working in downtown Oklahoma City when the Murrah Federal Building blew up. She and her husband were some of the first people who came to the aid of others then. She says today took her back.

"We saw things that I wish I had never seen is just makes the mind tilt," Noel said.

"We were both in downtown Oklahoma City a couple blocks away when that thing went off. You constantly go back to that day," Phil said.

Noel Tucker's sister Pam Koenig was at the finish line waiting for Noel to finish on Monday. Pam escaped injury.

An Oklahoma City runner told News 9 by phone there wasn't panic until the second explosion.

"When we crossed the finish line, we were going through the process of getting our fluids and warming blankets and our medals. Literally, we heard boom, and saw huge billows of smoke. Then seconds later, a huge boom again," said Susan Phillips, from Oklahoma City. "It was scary. It was very very scary. People started moving a little faster, and then there was a little bit of panic, and we just kept moving, and moving. We still don't know what happened. We can't get out of the city, we're stuck."

Phillips says she ended up about three blocks away from the scene of the explosion and stayed inside a coffee shop for quite some time.

She eventually made her way back to her hotel with her parents.

At this point, News 9 has not heard of any Oklahomans who were injured after the explosions.