Operations Return To Normal At Duncan Schools, But Extra Security Remains


Thursday, August 22nd 2013, 8:30 am
By: News 9


Duncan school officials have lifted closed-campus procedures after the district received threats following the fatal shooting of an Australian baseball player.

8/21/2013 Related Story: Duncan Community Remembers Christopher Lane

Duncan Public Schools Superintendent Sherry Labyer sent a note to parents Tuesday after the district received threats of violence at Duncan High School. On Wednesday, the district brought in extra police officers for security and imposed closed-campus procedures, meaning students weren't allowed to go outside.

The district also told parents they could keep their children home -- and only about 25 percent of the high school population attended classes that day.

Labyer says operations will be back to normal Thursday with additional security at Duncan High School and Duncan Middle School. She released this statement:

Dear Parents/Guardians,

Let me begin by saying "THANK YOU" for your cooperation and support of our closed campus procedures at all Duncan Schools. Reports from each school have been positive and the learning environment was not adversely affected. Many parents chose to keep their child/children home and absences today have been waived.

After an afternoon meeting with the Duncan Police Department, we determined that we will have school as usual beginning on Thursday, August 22nd. There have been no further threats or incidents that would lead us to believe that we should act otherwise. Additional security at Duncan High School and Duncan Middle School will remain in effect through Friday and patrol cars will be vigilant at elementary sites and the EDGE Academy.

We look forward to a great school year and again thank you for your support.

TOGETHER WE MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

Police Chief Danny Ford says the anonymous threats were related to last week's fatal shooting of Christopher Lane.