Man Dies From Injuries Suffered In Brawl At OKC Sports Complex

Thursday, April 24th 2014, 6:45 pm
By: News 9

What started as a fight at a weekend softball game has resulted in the death of an Oklahoma City man.

The brawl happened in the parking lot of the Boomer Sports Complex off I-240 and Sunnylane Rd. just after midnight Saturday.

Even though the sign says all activities are monitored, workers say there were no video cameras pointed at the parking lot. But they say they did have a deputy on duty that tried to break up the fight, that reportedly involved almost 100 people.

"According to the deputy, the man who ended up being arrested approached him and said people were trying to fight him were his exact words," said Sgt. Jennifer Wardlow with the Oklahoma City Police Department.

Ricky Betancur was injured during that disturbance. He left and went to the hospital with a head injury.

Betancur died of his injuries early Thursday morning.

Police arrested both Eric and Armando Noyola at the scene. Both were accused of being drunk in public, and Eric Noyola stood accused of assault and battery. Though they were not at home when News 9 came by, their friend and neighbor Antwone Brown says he saw them the night of the fight and claims Eric was beat up pretty bad.

"His teeth are broken," said Brown. "And he said ‘I don't have a problem fighting one guy, but I kind of have a problem fighting more than one guy and there were like five.'"

According to Brown, Eric Noyola told him he tried to leave and grabbed a bat out of his car and started swinging to keep people from coming at him.

"He came in to visit with me Monday," said attorney Scott Adams, who is representing Eric Noyola. "He literally was in tears."

Adams says his client was only trying to defend himself.

"It was 100 percent self-defense," said Adams. "Just with a tragic ending,"

For now, friends and family have created a Pray for Ricky Facebook page for people to leave condolences. They have also started a Go Fund Me account to help the family with both medical and funeral expenses. So far, more than $3,000 has been raised.

Eric Noyola was just booked into the Oklahoma County jail for first-degree murder. He surrendered to authorities and his attorney will push for a bond to be set in this case.