3 Arrested After Deputy Interrupts Burglary In Progress On OKC Interstate

Monday, May 19th 2014, 1:29 pm
By: News 9

Three people were arrested Saturday afternoon after an Oklahoma County deputy interrupted a burglary in progress on Interstate 240 in southeast Oklahoma City.

According to the Oklahoma County Sheriff's office, a deputy was driving on I-240 when he noticed two vehicles parked on the side of the interstate near Sunnylane Road. One vehicle's hood was raised and the second vehicle had its emergency flashers on. The deputy then stopped to check on the people to see if they needed help.

Immediately, authorities said one man, 25-year-old Kyle Hurley, walked away as the other man, 38-year-old Robert Jeffries, spoke with the deputy. The deputy said Jeffries appeared to be very nervous. He told the deputy that he had stopped to help a stranded motorist, and the person he was helping had left to get a battery. So he stayed to watch their vehicle.

Several other deputies responded to the scene. They quickly learned that the vehicle Jeffries and Hurley claimed to be watching had a window broken out, and there were obvious signs the vehicle had been burglarized.

Deputies said they found a woman, 21-year-old Tracy Jo Smith, in the back seat of the other vehicle. She said she was asleep and did not know anything.

However, inside Smith's purse, deputies said they found a pipe, digital scales, and crystal meth in a small baggie. The deputies also found burglary tools and another pipe from the area where Jeffries was seen tossing items on the ground when the deputy initially stopped.

The battery in the victim's vehicle had been taken, according to the Sheriff's office.

All three suspects were arrested and booked into the Oklahoma County Jail on multiple charges, including second-degree burglary, possession of stolen property, possession of meth and drug paraphernalia, and more.

Deputies said they were able to track down the burglarized car's owner who did not know the suspects, and said her vehicle had broken down and was left secured on the side of the interstate.