A metro doctor accused of running a 'Pill Mill' is deemed to be an "imminent danger" to the public.
After raiding Aria Orthopedics last month, the state suspends Dr. Harvey Jenkins' license to dispense controlled dangerous substances.
The doctor maintains his innocence, and tells News 9 his focus right now is to defend himself, get his OBN license back, and restore his reputation. He said the allegations came out of nowhere.
The doctor said he is deeply disappointed and saddened by OBN's decision to revoke his license to prescribe narcotic medications and controlled substances.
“This is the worst that I have ever experienced,” said Harvey. “This was clearly an injustice.”
“We believe his practice is putting patients in the public in danger,” said OBN spokesman, Mark Woodward.
OBN agents said this isn't their first run in with Dr. Jenkins, which is why he was served the "imminent danger" order Wednesday afternoon.
“The pills, the pre-signed prescriptions, were all just among the things that we found in the clinic when we raided it with a search warrant on the [January] 26th.
Back in 2014, investigators said patients had very little examination before given prescription narcotics allegedly by Dr. Jenkins. Woodward said agents found medications lying around Jenkins' office, open and unmarked.
“Including prescriptions that had been pre-signed that were left in his office, some pills, over 700 pills, some of which were controlled drugs like schedule two narcotics that were not secured, but were just left loose in a bag,” said Woodward.
“In the name of people who suffer, do this journalistic justice, because this should not happen in America, and this should not happen to anybody,” said Harvey.
Dr. Jenkins still has his medical license. He's only prohibited from prescribing controlled drugs.
There will be a hearing February 18th, that's when the doctor will have an opportunity to appeal the imminent danger order.
The investigation is ongoing and so far criminal charges have not been filed.
Dr. Jenkins released the below statement:
“I am deeply disappointed and saddened by the decision of the Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics to revoke my license to prescribe narcotic medications and controlled substances. My focus at this time is to defend myself against this action, to get my OBN license back, and to restore my reputation which was unfairly taken from me following the raid by the Attorney General's Office. My concern is with the many patients, who suffer from chronic and debilitating pain, who now find themselves displaced because of these events, and may have nowhere to turn. Because of my example, many doctors will be too afraid of the professional, financial and emotional devastation that is the risk of prescribing these medications. I am extremely proud of my service and contribution to the improvement of the lives of people who have pain. My conscience is 100% clear. My staff and I would like to thank our patients, the referring doctors entrusting their care to me, and the public for the love and the support we have received in the past 10 days.”