OK Family Calls EagleMed Pilot Killed In Crash Their Hero

Tuesday, April 7th 2015, 10:23 pm
By: News 9

An Oklahoma family called an EagleMed pilot killed last month their hero.

Moments after their teenage son was safely airlifted to a hospital, the helicopter crashed near Eufaula.

Now that boy is receiving care here in the metro.

The pilot and his crew were heading for McAlester Regional airport before the deadly crash, and according to the NTSB, the pilot was going to divert because of low clouds and began a left turn to return to Tulsa.

“It's been emotional, draining, hadn't it Dillan,” said Kathy McCoy.

Kathy's son, Dillan McCoy was hit by a car while skateboarding near his home in McAlister.

As he underwent physical therapy at the Children's Center in Bethany, his parents, Chip and Kathy McCoy couldn't help but think how much worse it could have been.

“It was very scary when we got the phone call and found out he had been hit by a car,” said Kathy.

“We got the call and we went to McAlister, and from there they flighted him to St. Francis in Tulsa [he] and spent two weeks up there,” said Chip McCoy, Dillan's dad.

3/13/2015 Related Story: One Dead, Two Injured In EagleMed Helicopter Crash Near Lake Eufaula

Dillan has made a near full recovery since then, and his parents said he may not be here, if the EagleMed crew didn't take a chance.

“They're really good people. They put their life on the line for him,” said Chip. “One of them lost theirs. The pilot lost his life and saved his.”

“They're our heroes,” said McCoy.

According to the NTSB, as the crew flew to St. Francis hospital in Tulsa earlier in the night, the pilot mentioned that the clouds were lower than expected. The NTSB said the pilot descended slightly and the helicopter landed safely without incident.

While on the ground, the NTSB reports the pilot checked weather again, talked to his crew, and decided to make the return flight from St. Francis to McAlester.

The helicopter crashed shortly after.

“When we actually seen [sic] it on the news that night, it just took our breath away,” said Kathy.

A nurse and paramedic on board the flight survived the crash.

4/7/2015 Related Story: NTSB Releases First Report On Fatal EagleMed Helicopter Crash Near Eufaula

The preliminary report released Tuesday is the first of three reports from the NTSB on the crash. It usually takes at least several months, sometimes even years, for the NTSB to release all three.

View the NTSB's full report on the crash.