OU Freshman's Alcohol-Related Death Still Affecting Students

Five years ago today, a freshman at the University of Oklahoma died from acute alcohol poisoning at a fraternity party. His death is still having an impact on the Norman campus.

Wednesday, September 30th 2009, 5:28 pm

By: News 9


News9.com

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Five years ago today, a freshman at the University of Oklahoma died from acute alcohol poisoning at a fraternity party.

Blake Hammontree, 19, was found to have an alcohol level five times above the legal limit.

OU President David Boren immediately shut down the Sigma Chi fraternity house, banned all alcohol on campus and instituted an alcohol awareness program.

Five years later, Boren has no regrets.

"I would do it all over again because I think we have substantially reduced the amount of dangerous behavior on campus," Boren said.

Several of Hammontree's fraternity brothers received deferred sentences for supplying alcohol to minors.

logo

Get The Daily Update!

Be among the first to get breaking news, weather, and general news updates from News 9 delivered right to your inbox!

More Like This

September 30th, 2009

May 28th, 2024

March 22nd, 2024

March 14th, 2024

Top Headlines

June 22nd, 2024

June 21st, 2024

June 21st, 2024

June 21st, 2024