OKLAHOMA CITY – A fire completely destroyed an apartment and damaged several others, leaving multiple families homeless Monday night.
The fire broke out at an apartment in the 7900 block of N.W. 7th Street. An Oklahoma City fire battalion chief on scene admitted there was a mix-up in the addresses when the 911 call came in. Initially the fire was believed to be in the far northwest part of the city.
Neighbors and residents said they had to help rescue one another from the building before firefighters finally arrived.
When crews arrived at the Westwood Apartments at N.W. 7th Street and Council Road, they reported a huge ball of flames coming from a second story apartment.
Firefighters said a man living alone on the top floor of the complex was cooking when a grease fire started, which caused the blaze.
No injuries were reported from the fire.
The Red Cross is assisting the displaced families.