Cotton Seed In Warehouse On Yukon's Main Street Burns


Saturday, January 15th 2011, 3:00 pm
By: News 9


News9.com

YUKON, Oklahoma -- Spontaneous combustion is being blamed for a fire at the old Farmer's Coop building at 1st and Main in Yukon. The fire is inside a metal storage building where cotton seed hull is stored.

Hull houses are known as sites of spontaneous combustion from the oxidation of the cotton seed oil.

Firefighters had a hard time getting to the blaze and eventually ventilated the building from the top to gain access to fight the fire. It was still burning as of 1:30 p.m.

Fire departments from Yukon, Bethany and Oklahoma City were at the scene.