Firefighters: Stove Sparked Southwest OKC Apartment Fire


Monday, January 24th 2011, 8:51 am
By: News 9


Emily Wood, News 9

OKLAHOMA CITY -- An apartment fire on the city's southwest side left one family homeless Monday morning.

Firefighters worked quickly to the get the fire under control at the Southern Oaks Apartments on South Woodward Avenue.

Firefighters said the fire started on a stove in one of the units. They said the family was using the stove to keep their apartment warm. Articles near the stove got too hot and caught on fire. Firefighters said the fire quickly spread throughout the unit, but they were able to keep the blaze from spreading to other units.

Everyone made it out safely and no one was injured.

Apartment managers said the Southern Oaks complex is full, but they are working to place the family in another apartment in Yukon.