WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission announced the voluntary recall of about 1.7 million video baby monitors with electrical cords after two strangulation deaths.
The cords can present a strangulation hazard to infants and toddlers if placed too close to a crib. Parents and caregivers should never place these or corded cameras within three feet of a crib.
Over the past year CPSC and the firm have received reports of two strangulation deaths of infants with the electrical cords of Summer Infant video baby monitors. In March, 2010 a 10-month old girl from Washington, D.C. strangled in her crib in the electrical cord of a Summer Infant video monitor.
The monitor camera had been placed on top of the crib rail.
A 6-month-old boy from Conway, South Carolina strangled in the electrical cord of a baby monitor placed on the changing table attached to the crib in November of 2010. A 20-month-old Pennsylvania boy was found in his crib with the camera cord wrapped around his neck. The Summer Infant monitor camera was mounted on the wall, but the child was still able to reach the cord. He was freed from the cord without serious injury.
The product was manufactured in China.
CPSC and Summer Infant urge parents to immediately check the location of the video monitors, including cameras mounted on the wall, and all electric cords to make sure the cords are out of arm's reach of their child. Consumers should contact Summer Infant toll-free at 800-426-8627 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday or visit the firm's website at www.summerinfant.com/Home/Product-Recall.aspx to receive a new permanent electric cord warning label about the strangulation risk and revised instructions about how to safely mount camera and keep cords out of child's reach.