Originally Published: Nov 15, 2009 11:12 PM CDT
Thoughts from the sidelines from OU's 65-10 win over Texas A&M:
- I loved the injection of some offensive razzle-dazzle. I know the "wildcat" formation and the reverses were'nt necessarily the craziest plays ever conceived, but it helped bring some life to a Sooner offense that looked dead in Lincoln.
- It took Brent Venables two series to figure out what A&M was trying to do offensively. After that...slam the door.
- The OU defense has given up 1-yard and 6-yard touchdown drives the last two weeks.
- Jarrod Johnson looks a lot like Byron Leftwich in uniform. He's impressive. At 6-foot-5 he was able to get passes off even when the OU rush was in his face because he could see over the pressure.
- I'm happy for Patrick O'Hara. I don't know how long he'll hold the kicking duties, but it's a cool story for a kid who I'm told didn't play high school football.
- I thought Jonathan Nelson was impressive. He's fast!!! Made a big hit and got a pick. He's earning more and more playing time at safety.
- Obviously getting the ball to Demarco Murray and Ryan Broyles as much as possible is a good idea. The wildcat helps you do that. Kevin Wilson says Murray needs 20-25 touches a game. He got 23 Saturday night. Broyles got 10 touches if you count his one punt return. I'd try to get that to 15. More wildcat with him would be fine with me. He's electric.
- I got a sneak peek at the new Nike uniforms that the Sooners will wear next Saturday at Texas Tech. Pretty cool. Somewhat similar to the throwbacks they wore when Jason White was here.
- It was good to see a game with no significant injuries. At least I hope that's the case. Tyler Evans looked to roll his ankle late in the game, but I don't think it's serious.
- Believe it or not, OU's 62-point improvement from one week to the next (3 vs Nebraska, 65 vs A&M) is not a school record. In 1980 OU scored 14 points in a loss to Stanford. The next week they scored 82 in a win over Colorado....a 68-point improvement.
- I thought the coin flip Saturday was pretty symbolic of the OU season. When the OU captains came out, Sam Bradford was in a sling and Brody Eldridge was in a neck brace. Half of the OU captains were in street clothes.