Originally Published: Jun 4, 2010 1:56 PM CDT
There are enough angles on this possible Big 12 South/Pac 10 bonding to discuss and write about all day. We will banter in-depth on the Blitz, so please join us. Meantime, here are but a few of the things that jump out. But there are so, so, so many more issues to ponder.
A DIRTY DOZEN BULLET POINTS
1. Tougher conferenceOU won 6 in conference titles in 9 yearswon’t happen15 other teamspossibly have to beat both UT and USC same season
2. Stoops future? Wouldn’t expect to leave for a few more years (perhaps 16 like Bud and Barry with more wins)but winning tougher and team not as goodthis is not the Sam Bradford team that lost to Florida for the title or the 2000 teamthey have an unproven QB and are coming off a 5-loss season.
3. Big 12 meetings a sham in that the six Pac-10 invitees could not discuss Pac-10 invite in meeting with rest of Big 12 who are left hanging. Someone’s lyingall the big wigs at the Big 12 meetings in KC say they’ve not talked with the Pac-10. Right, biggest deal ever and not interaction?
4. Lubbock and LA? Stillwater and Seattle? Norman and San Fran? Different sound that the good old days of Norman and Lincoln. The OU/Nebraska days a distant memorysad. Texas is big enough to hold the others hostagemoney, name, win, TV markets in Dallas/Ft. Worth, Houston, San Antonio and Austin.
5. OSU and OU will be together in any scenario Oklahoma politics will not allow OU to go anywhere without OSUsame with Texas and A/M.
6. Joe Castiglione professional Thursday in addressing media when most didn’t or gave AD-speakwas more open to other options than Big 12 or be damned.
7. Would Texas flee to SEC? AD Doss “SEC doesn’t fit our profile.”SEC lives off partial qualifiers which was why Nebraska reluctantly joined B 12
8. My position has been that a scenario like this is the best “alternative” if the Big 12 can’t remainbut two things are more realistic: 1-Nebraska and perhaps overrated Missouri are likely to leave the Big 12or at least not commit enough to the league meaning jumping to the Pac-102- more money in Pac 10When these “super conferences” come together, the B 12 will be overwhelmed.
9. Nebraska is on the spot and does not have TV households...but tradition with Nebraska and OU overcomes smaller markets and they are big players in discussions.
10. Someone’s lyingall the big wigs at the Big 12 meetings in KC say they’ve not talked with the Pac-10. Right: biggest deal ever and not interaction?
11. Since this is all about money and since there will be lots of exposure about the athlete having to travel and still handle schoolwork, the day the athlete is paid will come sooner than later.
12. Isn’t this all crazy? The fan and the player could not care less about what this is all about: MoneyDo you think DeMarco Murray is elated that OU might make $10 mill extra/year?
Again, please join us Sunday. We promise some insightful discussion on up-to-the-minute issues that will determine the fate of the most revolutionary change in the history of college athletics.