Grilling May Be Cause Of Four House Fires In Moore


Sunday, July 3rd 2011, 4:42 pm
By: News 9


Jon Jordan, News 9

MOORE, Oklahoma -- Firefighters say a favorite holiday pastime -- grilling -- sparked a fire that damaged four houses in Moore Sunday afternoon.

Firefighters were called to a structure fire in the 3800 block of Phillips Ave. shortly after one p.m.  They discovered that three adjoining homes were also involved.

Moore Deputy Fire Chief Gary Bird said 22 firefighters battled the summer heat as well as the blazes.

Bird said preliminary indications are that the fires may have been started by careless grilling.

Fireworks are illegal in the city limits of Moore, Bird said.  He said the police department has adopted a no tolerance policy with regard to fireworks in the city.

When Cleveland County passed its original burn ban it specified that no fireworks or grilling would be allowed. 

The ban was modified in response to a public outcry to allow outdoor grilling and fireworks.  Individuals who use fireworks or grill during the burn ban, however, are civilly and criminally responsible for any damages resultant fires may cause. 

See: Burn Bans Posted Across Oklahoma