ENID, Oklahoma – The Enid Police Department is offering several tips on how to drive safe during Halloween season.
• Drive slowly, and don't pass stopped vehicles. The driver might be dropping off children.
• Park your mobile phone. Avoid distractions by waiting until you've stopped to call, text, or surf.
• Watch for children darting into the street. Kids can cross the street anywhere, and most young pedestrian deaths happen at spots other than intersections.
• Yield to young pedestrians. Children might not stop, either because they don't see your vehicle approaching or don't know how to safely cross the street.
• Communicate with other drivers. Always use your turn signals. And if you have to pull over to drop off or pick up your kids, turn on your hazard lights.
And, to keep your own trick-or-treaters safe:
• Teach them how to safely cross streets. They should look both ways and cross only at corners and crosswalks.
• Brighten them up. Give them flashlights and glow sticks, and/or use reflective tape on their costumes, so drivers can see them.
If you have any questions concerning safety issues during this Halloween, contact Enid police at (580)-616-7012.