Police Investigate Bizarre Valley Brook Shooting

Friday, December 9th 2011, 6:29 pm
By: News 9

Chris McKinnon, News 9

VALLEY BROOK, Oklahoma -- A bizarre incident-turned-deadly shooting outside the Valley Brook town hall and police department Thursday night has investigators looking for answers.

Police said the suspect, 36-year-old Damien Muncie, broke into the town hall just before 10:45 p.m. on Thursday. They said Muncie ransacked the inside of the building and left messages on the outside walls of town hall and the police department, apparently written in his own blood.

12/9/2011 Related Story: Suspect Killed By Police In Valley Brook Identified

Friday afternoon Captain Dexter Nelson with the Oklahoma City Police Department said two officers from his department were called to the Valley Brook Town Hall for a disturbance call. When they tried to take Muncie into custody, Nelson said shots were fired. Officer D. Johnson of the Valley Brook Police Department, Officer Chris Grimes and Officer Roy Mitchell with OKCPD were all shot and returned fire.

"During that altercation, the suspect was ultimately shot and killed," said Capt. Nelson. "He died there at the scene."

Capt. Nelson said all three officers were out of the hospital and recovering from non life-threatening injuries Friday afternoon. He said investigators plan to speak with all three officers on Monday afternoon to get a better idea of exactly what happened.

"We've got a 48 hour rule as per our union that allows the officers to collect themselves," said Capt. Nelson. "So as far as the details of what happened, we don't really have all of that."

There were several messages written in blood on town hall and the police department. Police said it looked to be done in Muncie's own blood but investigators aren't saying what they say or mean.

"We don't know what it means.  Obviously, he had a message to send," said Valley Brook's Acting Police Chief Mike Stamp.

Neighbors who live next door to the incident said the gunfire woke them up Thursday night.

"They went pop, pop, pop, pop," said Louis Meeks. "We saw three bodies on the ground."

Investigators remained on scene throughout Thursday night and into Friday morning, but Nelson said with the suspect dead and three officers injured, the process is slow.

Capt. Nelson added that the two officers from his department were placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation. He said Muncie had several prior run-ins with the law.