Space Heater Blamed For OKC House Fire


Monday, December 26th 2011, 9:16 am
By: News 9


A space heater may be to blame for an overnight house fire. Fire crews responded to the home in the 3300 block of S.W. 40th just after 1 a.m.

When firefighters arrived on scene they say flames and smoke were pouring from the home. News 9 was told the call to 911 may have been delayed because the homeowner attempted to fight the flames himself with a fire extinguisher and a water hose.

All three family members made it out safely. Firefighters believe over 50 percent of the house is a loss.

Firefighters remind residents that space heaters should never be placed near combustibles like draperies, furniture, clothing or Christmas trees. Be sure to check the electrical cord before use.