The City of Edmond is offering Christmas tree recycling service this year. Residents can drop off their trees at either Hafer Park or Mitch Park by January 11, 2013.
City officials say the trees will be chipped, and free cedar mulch will be available for residents to pick up at Mitch Park after February 8. 2013.
Drop off locations will be:
1. Hafer Park - the upper level parking lot adjacent to Bryant
2. Mitch Park – in the north parking lot adjacent to Marilyn Williams Drive (east of the pavilion and playground.)
The trees will be chipped, so residents are asked to remove all tree stands, nails and ornaments.
Commercial accounts, Christmas tree lots and other businesses will need to dispose of their trees by dropping them off at one of the two drop-off locations.
If You Can't Drop Off The Tree:
• Residential customers can schedule a special free collection during the week of January 7. Call the tree-cycling hotline (405) 359-4701, between December 30 and January 6 to be placed on the schedule. Collection will be provided during the week starting Monday, January 7 and ending Friday, January 11.
• Trees may not necessarily be picked up on normal trash collection day. So, those who have called the hotline must place their tree at the curb before 7 a.m. Monday, January 7 to be included in this collection.
If You Miss the Special Collection:
• Cut your tree into smaller pieces and place it in your cart for regular collection.
• Schedule a monthly, bulk collection for January by calling Utility Customer Services at (405) 359-4541 beginning January 7. The bulk collection fee is $10 per cubic yard for the first 2 cubic yards and $5 for each additional cubic yard.
• Take your tree to the Transfer Station located at I-35 & Covell Road for disposal. The charge for disposal of a Christmas tree is $3 for a small tree and $5 for a large tree.