Nearly 30 residents and guests were rushed out of the Best Value Inn motel at Interstate 35 and S.E. 44th Street after a fire was reported early Thursday morning on the upper level of the building.
Several people called 911 around 4:30 a.m. to report thick smoke inside the motel.
When firefighters arrived, they helped evacuate the building. Everyone safely escaped and no one was hurt.
Firefighters then located the source of the fire and quickly put out the flames. Investigators believe an electrical problem in a wall between two rooms may have started the fire.
Firefighters told News 9 they are thankful no one was injured, considering the number of families and pets at the motel. There are at least two people living in the motel who are confined to wheelchairs.
"It could have been a lot worse," said Douglas Gordon, who was evacuated from the motel. "There are a couple of people on the ground floor in wheelchairs. They just banged on the doors and said the building was on fire."