Eight adults, one newborn and two dogs all managed to escape a burning home on the city's southwest side Monday morning.
Four of the adults are handicapped and firefighters say there was no working smoke detector in the home located in the 3300 block of S.W. 26th Street near Independence Avenue.
The home was engulfed in flames by the time the first fire company arrived on the scene around 3:00 a.m. The flames also spread to a house next door where three people were inside sleeping.
Investigators are now on scene trying to figure out what started the blaze.