Four students at Norman High School were taken to the hospital Monday morning after taking and ingesting prescription drugs on campus.
According to police, a teacher told a campus police officer that a female student was acting strange. During questioning, that student revealed the names of the other students involved and admitted they brought and or used prescription medication they took from their parents medicine cabinets.
It's a growing trend for students, stealing their parents' prescription drugs and then taking them or selling them at school.
"Parents will turn around and buy them for something they might need, and the kids go into their cabinet and take them to school, they sell it before school starts and mix it with their lunch," said Chris Hall, a junior at Norman High.
That was the buzz at Norman High School Monday morning that a couple students brought prescription drugs on campus and passed them around to their friends to use.
"I heard it was two freshmen, girls who overdosed on fake Xanax," said Hall. "Then I turn around and hear that it's more, that its four students, and I just can't believe it, I think it's stupid."
Norman school officials say it all started with one female student a teacher says was acting strange.
"She just didn't appear to be behaving normally and appeared to be under the influence of something," said Shelly Hickman, spokesperson for Norman Public Schools.
Staff learned she and three other students had improperly taken prescription medication, so all four students were taken to Norman Regional hospital to be treated. The group was also questioned by Norman Police.
Hickman says the school district has a strict no drugs on campus policy, and students caught with drugs can be suspended for a whole school year.
"It's something they don't want on their campus," said Hickman. "They're angry about this as well they don't want drugs on the campus."
Students saw two ambulances and a fire truck at the school on their way to lunch. Norman paramedics say more young people misuse prescription drugs than all other types of drugs combined.
"Over the last few years prescription drugs have just become by far the biggest drug problem that we see in all agencies," said Eddie Sims, Chief EMS paramedic for Norman Regional Health System.
Sims says drug use is a rampant problem in schools everywhere.
"It's a lot harder than what most people would probably think to stop this kind of action by any students," said Kristian Ludwig, a senior at Norman High. "It's extremely dangerous, I hope they learn from this experience and others learn from it."
The four students taken to the hospital were released early in the afternoon. The group is made up of male and female students. Two of them were taken to a Norman juvenile detention center.
Norman police are continuing their investigation.