Home Surveillance Footage Captures Edmond 'Car Surfing' Accident

Thursday, April 11th 2013, 10:05 pm
By: News 9

News 9 gets an exclusive look at the split seconds before two teenagers were thrown off a speeding SUV. A home surveillance camera captured the SUV flying through an Edmond neighborhood.

Laquon Burris, 16, remains OU Medical Center with severe head injuries. Family members tell News 9 he remains in a coma and is showing little signs of improvement.

"He was on the back bumper of the car, hanging on to the back of the luggage rack. The other one was lying flat, hanging onto each side of it," said neighbor, Todd Segress.

4/9/2013 Related Story: Parents Of Teen Injured In Car Surfing Accident Warn Others

Home surveillance video captures the white SUV fly past Segress' home. Edmond police say the 15-year-old driver was going at least 40 mph when he swerved throwing Luke Smith and Laquon Burris several feet. 

"The driver of the car was hysterical, I mean, you can tell he was scared," said Segress.

"All I could do was just run over and see what was happening," said neighbor, Matthew Larson. "I saw one kid at first, little did I know, I looked straight down the street, and I saw the other kid."

3/23/2013 Related Story: Teenage Edmond Boys Fight For Their Lives After 'Car Surfing' Accident

Larson was outside doing yard work when it all happened. You can see him in the surveillance video begin to run toward the two teens after they're thrown from the SUV.

"That one kid, he was okay, but he had a pretty messed up leg, and side was already bruising," said Larson.

Larson is talking about Luke Smith, but that's before he realized, Laquon was several feet away and he wasn't breathing. So, he started to do CPR.

3/22/2013 Related Story: Two Teens Critically Injured In ‘Car Surfing' Stunt In Edmond

"Everything was just kind of slow motion," said Larson. "As I started the second round of it he started coughing up blood, it was a little bit of relief, and a moment of craziness."

Now he's hoping Laquon pulls though and makes a full recovery.

"I'm just thankful that I was there for sure," said Larson. "I couldn't imagine what would happen if I wasn't there."

There were seven people inside the SUV when the accident happened. Police say the 15-year-old driver could face charges.