OHP Pilot's Family Speaks Out About Pott. County Plane Crash

Saturday, July 27th 2013, 10:56 pm
By: News 9

Oklahoma Highway Trooper Dennis Dickens is recovering at OU Medical Center after his plane crash Friday night.

His family is waiting by his bedside at the hospital and at their home in Noble praying for his recovery.

"I guess I could have expected this since he does do this every day, but I can't believe that it's happening," said Dickens oldest son, 18-year-old Zackary Dickens.

Zackary says he initially was in disbelief that his father was hurt in the plane in the crash. He says he went numb when his mom got the call.

7/26/2013 Related Story: OHP Aircraft Crashes In Pottawatomie County

"I understood, but it just kind of felt surreal, like it wasn't really happening," Zackary said.

But it did happen near State Highway 9 Pottawatomie County just after 7 p.m. on Friday. Amelia Watkins said she saw the plane go down from her window.

"It was just a white plane bank and kind of turn back in that direction pretty low," said Watkins. "I went back to the window, and said there's fire over there."

Dickens was thrown from his plane, and it burst into flames. The longtime OHP pilot was flown to the hospital with serious injuries to his legs.

"I was told that he's been awake and that he's been talking," Zackary said.

He says it's been tense waiting by the phone for updates from his mom on his dad's surgeries. He says he has been in constant prayer for his father's recovery and believes that his surviving the crash is nothing short of a miracle.

7/27/2013 Related Story: OHP Identifies Pilot Seriously Injured In Pott. County Plane Crash

"That's the reason why my dad is alive is just by God's work because I truly believe that without him, my dad would be dead," said Zackary. "And if my dad's going to be watching this, I just want to say that I love you and I'm glad you're alright."

Zackary says his dad was in surgery all Friday night suffering from several broken bones.

The FAA and the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) are continuing to investigate the crash.