There was a big scare Tuesday for the Norman High School band as their bus went up in flames while on the way to a competition down in Lawton.
The bus had a mechanical problem, but all the students made it off safely. Worried parents, who also made the trip, are talking about the close call.
News 9 viewers captured the billowing smoke coming from one of the three buses with Norman High School band members.
The smoldering school charter was spotted by parents also headed to the band competition.
"We just saw smoke and I thought oh my gosh, I hope kids are not on the bus, then to find out it was our kids' school, I burst into tears," Dana Anderson said.
Rest assured, moms and dads, the 43 kids onboard never seem to really panic.
"We very orderly got all the kids, we've been about a quarter of a mile from the bus since it caught fire," Jeff Deardorf said.
Except for what didn't make it off the charred charter: a bus load of instruments and band uniforms.
Fortunately, a rival high school, Norman North, also competed against Cameron University. It allowed Norman High to use its band equipment. So even after all this, the show went well.