Suspect Pulls Gun On Officer After Enid Police Chase

Wednesday, May 7th 2014, 5:10 pm
By: News 9

An Enid man is facing a litany of charges, including two counts of attempted murder on a police officer, after a high-speed chase early Wednesday morning.

It started after police spotted the suspect, 21-year-old Johnny Ross, run a stop sign at the intersection of 4th St. and Walker St., just after midnight. The officers initiated a traffic stop and at first, it appeared as though everything was normal.

Ross, who was driving a blue Ford Expedition, pulled the vehicle over and turned off the engine, but as the officer approached the back of the SUV Ross started the vehicle and sped off. The officers reported hearing a female frantically yelling inside the vehicle as it accelerated away.

The officers turned on their lights and began pursuing the Expedition, which lasted several minutes until Ross finally lost control and crashed into a ditch around the 1800 block of East Cherry Ave., near the railroad yard.

One of the responding officers exited his patrol car to check on the people in the crashed SUV, but as he approached Ross exited the driver's side door and pointed a gun at the officer's face. The officer says it looked as though Ross was trying to fire, but it did not respond.

The officer then tacked Ross and was able to put him in restraints while he was still holding the weapon. Both responding officers removed the gun from Ross's hands, where they determined the reason the weapon did not fire to begin with was because the safety catch was still engaged. Neither police officer was injured during the altercation.

Officers say the weapon Ross was brandishing was loaded and that its serial number was partially scratched off. They also say they found a small baggy of marijuana in Ross's pants.

Records show that Ross was a convicted felon and was driving with a suspended license. Police also say that Ross had an outstanding county warrant out on him for possession with intent to sell.

The female in the vehicle told police officers she kept asking Ross to pull over and let her out during the chase, but he told her to "Shut up." The female's identity has not been released and charges have not been filed against her.  

Ross was booked into the Garfield County Detention Center. He is facing the following charges: two counts of attempted murder on a police officer, eluding, possession of a firearm in the commission of a felony, possession of a firearm after a felony conviction, possession of a firearm with an altered serial number, kidnapping, resisting arrest, running a stop sign, driving under suspension, and possession of marijuana.