Chambers Pushes RedHawks Past Sounds

Saturday, May 17th 2014, 12:01 am
By: News 9

Adron Chambers collected three hits and three RBI, and the Oklahoma City RedHawks pitching staff held the Nashville Sounds scoreless over the final seven innings in a 6-5 win at Greer Stadium Friday night.

The RedHawks (24-18) have won four straight games and matched their best record of the season by going six games above .500.

Oklahoma City finished with 12 hits, half of which were doubles. Chambers had a game-high three hits while Robbie Grossman, Kiké Hernandez, and Jonathan Meyer tallied two hits apiece.

The RedHawks were able to get on the board right away in the top of the first inning. With one out, Grossman doubled, and Domingo Santana followed with an RBI single to make it 1-0.

Two more followed in the second inning. With Max Stassi at second base and none out, Ronny Torreyes laid down a sac bunt. Pete Orr missed pitcher Mike Fiers' throw at first base, as the ball went into the Oklahoma City bullpen, allowing Stassi to score. With Torreyes at second on two outs, Chambers brought him in with an RBI single to make it 3-0.

The Sounds (21-20) erupted with quick five-run strike in the bottom of the second. Each of the first five hitters reached base, with the last four each collecting extra-base hits. Jeremy Hermida tied the game with a three-run homer, and Orr put the Sounds in front with an RBI triple. Irving Falu later plated Orr with a sac fly, extending Nashville's lead to 5-3.

The RedHawks tied the game in the fourth. Chambers pulled the RedHawks within one with an RBI double, and wild pitch later in the inning with two outs brought home the tying run.

Chambers then gave the RedHawks the lead with another RBI double in the sixth. His third hit of the night scored Meyer, who had doubled earlier in the inning.

After the RedHawks took the lead, Bobby Doran came out of the bullpen and proceeded to retire the first eight batters he faced. Hunter Morris ended the streak with a broken-bat single with two outs in the eighth, but Stassi threw out pinch-runner Kevin Mattison attempting to steal second base to end the inning.

Doran retired the first two batters of the ninth before Orr and pinch-hitter Taylor Green collected back-to-back singles to put runners at the corners.

With the tying run at third and the winning run at first, Jason Stoffel replaced Doran on the mound and got Falu to ground out to end the game, as Stoffel picked up his fourth save of the year.

After the stretch of four straight extra-base hits in the second inning, the RedHawks pitching staff did not allow an extra-base hit the rest of the night and only allowed three Sounds to reach scoring position over the final seven innings.

Both teams' starting pitchers only lasted four innings. Chia-Jen Lo (1-0) earned his first win after tossing a scoreless fifth inning. It was his first win since April 14, 2009 while pitching for High-A Lancaster.

Kyle Heckathorn (2-2) took the loss for the Sounds after allowing one run and three hits over two innings.

The RedHawks will aim for a fifth straight win when they meet the Sounds Saturday night at 6:35 p.m.