U.S. General Killed In Afghan 'Insider' Attack


Tuesday, August 5th 2014, 11:05 am
By: News 9


A U.S. official has said 16 of the victims of an Afghan insider attack on Tuesday were Americans, and at least one -- a two-star Major General -- was killed. CBS News correspondent David Martin reported that some of the 15 U.S. troops at the training camp near Kabul were in serious condition after the shooting.

A man dressed in an Afghan army uniform opened fire on foreign troops at Camp Qargha, a training center west of the capital, Kabul. A German brigadier general was reportedly wounded in the attack, which took place as senior NATO commanders met at the base, according to the German newspaper Spiegel.

Martin said it wasn't immediately clear whether the attacker was in fact a member of the Afghan military, or just wearing a stolen or fake uniform.

The two-star U.S. General killed in the attack was not immediately identified.

Gen. Mohammmad Zahir Azimi, a spokesman for Afghanistan's Defense Ministry, said a "terrorist in an army uniform" opened fire on both local and international troops. Azimi said the shooter had been killed.

CBS News' Ahmad Mukhtar reported that Camp Qargha is funded by Britain and is modeled on the esteemed Sandhurst British military academy. Camp Qargha is expected to be Britain's only military presence in the country after combat troops complete their pullout by next year.

Gen. Afzal Aman, director of operations at Afghan Defense Ministry, said three senior Afghan officers, including the Camp's commander Gen. Gulam Sakhi, were wounded in the shooting.

Killings by uniformed Afghans of foreign soldiers and civilians spiked in 2012 as NATO and Afghan forces started to work in more intimate contact with foreign troops handing over security to the Afghans and continuing to train them prior to the expected withdrawal of combat troops at the end of 2014.

There were far fewer incidents in 2013.

Meanwhile, in Afghanistan's eastern Paktia province, a guard opened fire on NATO soldiers close to the governor's compound, according to Paktia police chief Zulmai Oryakhail.

Oryakhail told CBS News one wounded ISAF soldier was take to hospital for treatment, and the guard who opened fire died of wounds sustained during an exchange of fire.

Also on Tuesday, about 200 people protested in the western Herat province after a NATO helicopter strike allegedly killed four civilians.

Herat police spokesman Abdul Raouf Ahmadi said the victims were traveling on a motorbike when they were hit by the helicopter fire. He said the victims included a woman and a child.