Oklahoma City firefighters got the call early Monday morning to a fire at one of the city's senior living centers. This was at the Candle Lake Senior Center on N.W. 56th between Portland and Hefner Parkway.
Candle Lake is one of the Oklahoma City Housing Authority's ten senior living centers, and it's doubtful many of the residents there will feel well-rested today.
Certainly, it could have been much worse for them. Once our camera was on the scene, not long after firefighters arrived, the fire was out.
The majority of the facility's 101 units were not affected, by what turned out to be a fire in a bedroom of one of the first floor units. The chief tells they had a little help.
“It's a sprinkler-ed building. Sprinkler put the fire out, it was in a bedroom. There was one occupant in the room at the time. She got out fine. First floor's been totally evacuated. We've had to shut down the sprinkler system,” said Russell Burkhalter with the Oklahoma City Fire Department.
Firefighters on the scene weren't yet sure what started the fire, but we do know that no one was hurt, and we know that everyone was allowed to go back inside once the sprinklers and the alarm were turned off.