Sunday College Soccer Roundup

Sunday, October 12th 2014, 6:47 pm
By: News 9

Sooners, Frogs Finish in Tie

NORMAN -- The Oklahoma soccer team's third Big 12 match of the season ended the way it started: all knotted up.

After 110 minutes of play on a sunny October afternoon in Norman, OU and TCU finished deadlocked in a 1-1 tie. The Sooners (8-3-3, 2-0-1 Big 12) got the go-ahead goal in the 28th minute, but surrendered an equalizer two minutes later to the Frogs (7-5-3, 0-2-3 Big 12).

Oklahoma outshot TCU by a margin of 6-4 in the first half, with its first opportunity coming in the 15th minute. True freshman Lizzie Luallin broke away down the left side to send in a cross to Abby Hodgen, but the shot flew wide. Minutes later, Rasha Roberts found the ball for a shot on goal that TCU goalkeeper Vittoria Arnold deflected away, and OU was then called offside.

The Sooners found the back of the net in the 28th minute when Shiloh Price drove down the right side and chipped a beautiful cross into the box. Price connected with Chelsea Jackson, who sent in the header to give Oklahoma a 1-0 lead.

TCU responded almost immediately in the 30th minute on a strike from Michelle Prokof. Prokof fired in a shot from 23 yards out that was caught by the wind and snuck into the top right corner of the net. The Sooners fired a pair of additional shots as the half ran out, but couldn't find the net for the go-ahead goal.

Hodgen opened the second half with one of her team-high five shots in the second half, with Arnold collecting the ball to make the save. TCU fired back in the 80th minute, utilizing a pair of corner kicks to pressure the Sooner defense. A header from Meghan Murphy nicked away on the right post to end the threat.

TCU was back in the final minutes of the half, staging a major threat in the 89th minute with back-to-back corners again. The scrum in front of the goal was cleared away after a blocked shot and OU emerged unscathed, sending the contest to overtime.

The Sooners poured on the pressure in the first overtime period, with Hodgen zooming down the right side again and firing a shot that was blocked out the back of the field by a TCU defender. OU couldn't capitalize on the ensuing corner kick as the ball sailed out of bounds.

OU nearly found the back of the net in the second overtime when Laura Rayfield connected with Madeline Brem off a free kick. Brem snuck a header to the right side that ambled toward the goal, but Arnold managed to dive in and make a save before another Sooner could nose the ball in.

Fahrner saved the Sooners again in the 107th minute. With time ticking down in the second overtime period, Prokof redirected a shot with a header that Fahrner made a diving, fingertip save to grab. Just minutes later, the match ended officially in a 1-1 tie.

With the tie, Oklahoma remains undefeated in overtime matches this season. The Sooners are 3-0-3 overall and 1-0-1 in Big 12 overtime contests.

Oklahoma will conclude its annual two-match Bedlam series next weekend on the road at Oklahoma State. The match is set for a 7 p.m. start on Friday. OU holds a 1-0 advantage in Bedlam this year, topping the Cowgirls 2-1 on Aug. 22.

Cowgirls Win Again

STILLWATER, Okla. — Oklahoma State continued its winning ways Sunday afternoon as the Cowgirls knocked off Baylor, 2-0, at the Cowgirl Soccer Complex.

With the win, OSU moved into second place in the Big 12 Conference standings at 3-1-1, with its three league wins the most by the Cowgirls since the 2011 squad won six en route to a Big 12 championship.

Coach Colin Carmichael's squad also improved to 8-7-1 overall, and the Cowgirls are 8-1-1 in their last 10 matches.

Delaney Kiely and Anna Beffer recorded OSU's goals against Baylor (7-5-2, 1-2-1), and Rosa Medina collected four saves en route to her sixth shutout of the season.

“Baylor is a tough team that poses a lot of problems with the way they play, very direct and a lot of balls in the air and physical contact, so we told our kids they had to fight and dig in and grind it out and play soccer when you can, and I thought we were very deserving of the win,” Carmichael said. “It shows we've toughened up. We're able to grind out games when we're not playing at our best or maybe when the other team doesn't allow us to play at our best.

“We're really pleased. The Big 12 games aren't always pretty so you've got to have the ability to just fight and compete and win games, and we've shown that ability.”

Statistically, the match proved even. Both teams collected 10 shots, but OSU put seven of its attempts on goal to four for the Bears, while the visitors had a slight 3-2 advantage on corner kicks.

The Cowgirls struck for their first goal in the 36th minute when off one of those corner kicks, Kelsey Bass sent the ball into the box where Kiely deflected it into the back of the net to give OSU a 1-0 lead. The goal was Kiely's first of the season and first since her freshman season in 2012, while Bass notched her second assist in the last two games.

OSU's defense held strong on the Bears' few opportunities prior to intermission. One of those came late in the half when Niki McKnight made a great sliding tackle to knock the ball away from a BU player who had broken free with possession near the top of the 18-yard box.

OSU would double its lead in the 70th minute on an impressive effort by Beffer. After receiving a pass from Allie Rivers, the freshman took a quick dribble and then blasted a left-footed shot from 23-yards out top shelf to the far post for her third goal of the year.

That was more than enough for the Cowgirls, whose defense continued to shine in recording its sixth shutout in its last nine games. That type of play has seen OSU turn around its season and become one of the Big 12's hottest teams over the last month.

“Starting 0-6 was pretty tough, but we've really rallied and come together,” Medina said. “Our defense has been really solid lately. We started off with a lot of injuries, but now having everyone back we have a really solid rotation and that's great for all these games going down the stretch.”

OSU returns to action Friday in its final home game of the regular season when the Cowgirls take on Bedlam rival Oklahoma. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.

Tulsa Women's Soccer Team Tops Cincinnati, 2-1

Tulsa, Oklahoma – Tana Dake scored her first collegiate goal and the game-winner to give Tulsa a 2-1 win over Cincinnati on Sunday afternoon at the Hurricane Soccer and Track Stadium. TU moved to 8-6-2 on the season and 2-3-1 in the American Athletic Conference, while the Bearcats fell to 8-5-2 overall and 2-3 in the league.

“It was kind of an ugly game,” coach Kyle Cussen said. “Cincinnati is a very physical team and they play a style we haven't seen all year. I thought the girls really showed a lot of heart today. Good teams find a way to win, especially in ugly games. I was proud of them because every win in the conference is tough, and we'll take this one for sure.”

Rachel Thun put the Golden Hurricane on the board with just 6:07 ticked off the clock off a rebound attempt taken by Christina Holmes. Just over eight minutes later Laura Rose evened the score as she scored from 16 yards out on the left side off a pass from Danielle Rotheram and the score was tied 1-1 at the break.

Dake scored from 30 yards out up the middle at the 63:13 mark to give TU the win.

The Bearcats had a 14-12 lead in shots, including an 8-4 advantage in shots on goal, and a 14-5 lead in corner kicks.

Lauren King had a team-best three shots, while Madison Smith and Dake each had two attempts, and five others had one shot. Courtney McKeon logged all 90 minutes between the posts for seven saves.

Tulsa played five subs today, including sophomore Katelyn Admire who played the final 10 minutes.

“With Christina going down in the second half, we put in Katelyn Admire,” Cussen said. “She hasn't got a lot of playing time this year, but her number was called today and she stepped up to the challenge. She gave us some quality minutes. I was proud of her and I think that what she was able to do says a lot about her and our team.”

Tulsa will return to action on Wednesday against Oral Roberts. Game time is set for 7 p.m. at the Hurricane Stadium on the TU campus.

ORU falls in 3-0 shutout at SDSU

BROOKINGS, S.D. – The Oral Roberts University women's soccer team couldn't overcome defensive breakdowns on Sunday as the Golden Eagles were shut out by South Dakota State 3-0 in Summit League action.

ORU dropped to 1-6-3 overall and 0-2-0 in league play, while the Jackrabbits improved to 7-5-1 and 3-0-1 on the season.

SDSU started its scoring in the 26th minute as Diana Potterveld set up Shelby Raper for her fifth goal of the season to make it a 1-0 match.

In the 51st minute, Potterveld added her second assist of the match, feeding Nicole Hatcher to extend the lead to 2-0. Potterveld netted the third goal of the afternoon in the in the 78th minute for the 3-0 decision.

Turning Point

Shelby Raper gave the Jackrabbits a 1-0 lead in the 26th minute as Diana Potterveld found her in the center box for the goal.

Inside the Box Score

• Kayla Keller recorded the lone shot on goal for ORU in the 68th minute, her only shot of the match.

• Ashley Martin was credited with two shots, and Megan Giles and Amanda Dial each added a shot.

• Helen Erb (1-3-1) earned six saves.

• Diana Potterveld led SDSU with three shots, two of which were put on goal, one goal and two assists.

• Elisa Stamatakis (5-2-0) recorded one save.

• SDSU outshot the Golden Eagles, 19-5.

News and Notes

• ORU has not scored a goal in six meetings against SDSU.

• The Golden Eagles are winless in their last five matches.

Up Next

ORU looks to get back on track on Wednesday as the Golden Eagles take on cross-town rival Tulsa at the Hurricane Track and Soccer Stadium. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.